ENGG 2440B: Discrete Mathematics for Engineers
2017-18 First Term
- NEW: The final examination will be held on December 15, 2017. It will mainly cover the material after the midterm; i.e., from the October 23 lecture up to the November 29 lecture. However, you should also be familiar with the material before the midterm. You are allowed to bring one A4-sized cheat sheet. You can write or print on both sides of the cheat sheet. You can also bring a calculator. No other material will be allowed. Please contact the teaching staff if you need any clarification on the rules.
- NEW: Homework 6 is posted. It is due on December 6, 2017.
- Here is the midterm solution.
- ESTR 2004 is an ELITE Stream version of this course. Please contact the instructor for details.
- Welcome to ENGG 2440B! The first class will be held at 2:30pm on September 4, 2017 in LSK LT4.
- IMPORTANT: Roll calls will be taken during lectures. It is the Faculty's policy that students must be present in at least 50% of the roll calls. Failure to satisfy this requirement will result in automatic failure of the course, regardless of the performance in the assessment components.
- To better facilitate discussions and Q&As, we have set up an online platform. Please follow this link to sign up.
- PLEASE READ: Student/Faculty Expectations on Teaching and Learning, from the Faculty of Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Instructor: Anthony Man-Cho So (manchoso at se.cuhk.edu.hk)
- Office Hours: Thursdays 3:30pm - 5:00pm or by appointment, in ERB 604
- Lecture Time/Location:
- Mondays 2:30pm - 4:15pm, in LSK LT4
- Wednesdays 12:30pm - 1:15pm, in LSB LT6
- Teaching Assistants:
- Zengde Deng (zddeng at se.cuhk.edu.hk)
- Office Hours: Wednesdays 3:30pm - 4:30pm, in ERB 810C
- Sen Huang (hsen at se.cuhk.edu.hk)
- Office Hours: Fridays 11:00am - 12:00pm, in ERB 905
- Yuen Man Pun (ympun at se.cuhk.edu.hk)
- Office Hours: Wednesdays 9:30am - 10:30am, in ERB 905
- Peng Wang (wangpeng at se.cuhk.edu.hk)
- Office Hours: Tuesdays 3:30pm - 4:30pm, in ERB 810A
- Xiaolu Wang (xlwang at se.cuhk.edu.hk)
- Office Hours: Tuesdays 10:30am - 11:30am, in ERB 905
- Tutorial Time/Location:
Note: There will be in-class exercises during the tutorial. Solutions should be turned in at the end of the tutorial for grading. Attendance at the tutorials and the in-class exercises will count towards 10% of your grade.
- Thursdays 3:30pm - 5:15pm, in LSB LT6
- Online Q&A Forum: Follow this link.
Just as calculus is the mathematical foundation for natural sciences, discrete mathematics is the mathematical foundation for computing sciences. In this course, we will cover the basic techniques of discrete mathematics, which are essential for manipulating and reasoning about finite or countable sets of objects. Applications from various disciplines, such as computer science, operations research, and probability, will be used to illustrate the theory.
- Homework Sets (30%)
- Midterm Examination (25%)
- Final Examination (35%)
- Tutorial Participation (10%)
The primary text for this course is Eric Lehman, F. Thomson Leighton, Albert R. Meyer (LLM), Mathematics for Computer Science, 2010.
- Richard A. Brualdi, Introductory Combinatorics (5th Edition), Pearson Education, Inc., 2010.
- Susanna S. Epp, Discrete Mathematics with Applications (4th Edition), Brooks/Cole Cengage Learning, 2011.
- Kenneth H. Rosen, Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications (7th Edition), McGraw-Hill, 2012.
Schedule and Reading
- Week 1: Sep 4 Information Sheet, Notes. Familiarize yourselves with the material in LLM Chapters 1 and 2. Sep 6 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 3.1-3.2. Sep 7 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 3.3-3.4.
- Week 2: Sep 11 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 9.1-9.2 Sep 13 Notes. Read LLM Chapter 9.5. Sep 14 Notes.
- Week 3: Classes cancelled.
- Week 4: Sep 25 Notes. Sep 27 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 10.1, 10.3.
- Week 5: Oct 2 National Day Holiday. Oct 4 Notes. Read LLM Chapter 10.1.
- Week 6: Oct 9 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 10.3. Oct 11 Notes. Read LLM Chapter 9.7.
- Week 7: Oct 16 Notes. Read LLM Chapter 9.7. Oct 18 Notes.
- Week 8: Oct 23 and Oct 25 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 11.1-11.3.
- Week 9: Oct 30 Notes. Read LLM Chapter 11.4, 11.9, 11.10. Nov 1 Notes. Read LLM Chapter 11.6.
- Week 10: Nov 6 Notes, Read LLM Chapter 14.1-14.4. Nov 8 Notes. Read LLM Chapter 11.8.
- Week 11: Nov 13 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 11.8, 5.1. Nov 15 Notes, Read LLM Chapter 5.4.
- Week 12: Nov 20 Notes. Nov 22 Notes. Read LLM Chapters 5.5-5.7.
- Week 13: Nov 27 Notes. Nov 29 Notes.
Tutorial Notes and Exercises
Homework Sets (Assignment Box: B12, 5th floor of ERB)
Last Updated: December 13, 2017